Objectives of the project
- Development of an analytical method to assess the impact of the mass introduction of EV and PHEV on the electricity grids
- Elaboration of recommendations for technological upgrading of the grid infrastructure and related ICT system solutions for grid management
- Elaboration of recommendations for policy makers to foster electric mobility (in terms of regulations and incentives)
- Identification and seizing of business opportunities for different stakeholders groups
- Elaboration of standardisation proposals => Joint European Approach
- Definition of future required RTD activities and projects
Electricity grids of the future will supports customer at every point of interest. Independently of the location, time and power request the customer will be served like his situation asks for (e.g. minimum mileage request, tariffs, location etc.). Therefore the grids are smart enough to tackle the conflict of an grid owner between huge investment into conventional assets (cables, transformers etc.) and artificial intelligence for innovative grid operations to supports millions of mobile customers (EVs and PHEVs). Furthermore the electricity infrastructure, with the support of the automatic communication with the car, will ensure:
- the optimal usage of the renewable energy sources
- services on the MV and LV-Level like Demand Response, Demand Side Management, Congestion management and other ancillary services
- the quality of power supply and the avoidance of power failures due to wrong charging procedures.
The project will provide a set of recommendations which will help to evolve the European power grids to an intelligent power system which can serve an educed mass market of EVs and PHEVs in whole Europe. With this physical "backbone" several stakeholders could offer their customers individually different kind of services and products.